Easter is around the corner and what better way to surprise and impress your loved ones than making our delicious chocolate lace meringues?
Here’s what you’ll need:
4 egg whites, warmed in the shell
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar, extra fine
1/2 cup dark chocolate, shaved
1. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.
2. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
3. Set oven racks in the center of the oven.
4. In the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the egg whites until foamy.
5. Add the salt and cream of tartar and beat on medium high speed until soft peaks form.
6. Gradually add the sugar about 1 tablespoon at a time every 5 seconds.
7. Continue to beat until meringue is glossy and stiff peaks form, which should be about 1 1⁄2 to 2 minutes more.
8. Add vanilla and mix for a few seconds.
9. Remove bowl from mixer and gently fold in shaved chocolate.
10. Drop meringues by the spoonful onto parchment lined baking sheets.
11. Place in oven and bake, rotating sheets front to back and trading top rack to bottom rack halfway through baking.
12. Bake about 1 to 1 1⁄2 hours. The meringues should be dry and just starting to turn golden on the bottom. Test doneness by removing a meringue from the paper. If it sticks slightly, then bake another 5-10 minutes.
13. Turn oven off and let sit in oven 2 more hours or overnight.
- Buy a block of dark chocolate and shave it using a vegetable peeler or repeatedly grinding a sharp knife against the edge.
- Do not overbeat egg whites or you may dry out the mixture.
- You will know that the mixture is ready when you no longer feel any sugar crystals.
- Divide the meringue mixture into 4 different bowls and add a small drop of food coloring to each bowl to create an assortment of fun pastel colored meringues.