Valentine’s Day is approaching and there is nothing that complements a Magnolia Bakery Valentine’s Day cupcake better than a DIY paper cupcake liner flower. Our creative director, Linda Facci, has created these beautiful decorations that are not only easy to make, but will look lovely as a centerpiece for your table, or as a topper for your Magnolia Bakery cupcakes.
1. Gather Supplies
To make a cupcake liner flower, you’ll need the following supplies:
- Cupcake liners of various colors (5-15 based on how many flowers you would like to create)
- Plastic coffee stirrers
- Small doilies (optional)
- Glue gun
- Pinking shears (optional)
2. Fold one cupcake liner in half, and then fold in half again.
3. Place coffee stirrer in center of liner.
4. Add glue and fold in half.
5. Scrunch and spread out the liner a bit.
6. Poke a hole in the center of a new cupcake liner (with the end of the coffee stirrer or tip of your scissor) and slide it up the coffee stirrer under the first liner.
7. Twist and scrunch the wrappers. Add a bit of tape to secure. Continue steps 6 & 7 two or three times depending on the fullness desired.
8. Flatten out a green liner and cut out some leaf shapes. Use pinking shears to create a zig-zag texture. Glue the leaf to the bottom of the flower so it pokes out from the last layer.
- Paper liners work better than waxed liners because they are easier to fold.
- Try using the doily as one of the layers.
- Alternate the colors
- Place a bunch in a ball jar or vase.
- Cut stirrers in half and place on frosting of cupcake to use as a topper.