In honor of Parkinson’s Awareness Month, we’ve partnered with the Michael J. Fox Foundation on a special cupcake that will be sold in stores and online throughout the month of April. $1.75 from the sale of each cupcake will go directly to MJFF and Parkinson’s disease research. Please visit any of our US locations or our online store to support these efforts.
More information on Parkinson’s disease can be found below:
- An estimated one million people in the US – and five million people worldwide – are living with Parkinson’s disease (PD). This number is expected to grow with the aging population.
- MJFF is not a celebrity charity or a patient advocacy organization – it is a leading scientific research organization. MJFF’s single-minded goal is to speed progress in Parkinson’s research and develop new treatments- and ultimately a cure- for PD. MJFF has in-house scientists and works closely with the pharmaceutical industry and academic researchers to prioritize research goals, answer questions and design trials.
- MJFF is the world’s largest private funder of Parkinson’s disease research. To date, MJFF has given more than $325 million to research.
- MJFF is actively seeking answers for the many questions that still remain about Parkinson’s disease. At present, we don’t know someone has PD until their symptoms have progressed. There is no definitive way to diagnose PD, and we don’t know the disease cause. Current therapies address some symptoms of PD, but there is no treatment that slows or stops disease progression. And there is no known cure.
- Michael J. Fox often says “there is no ‘Department of Cures’” and there is nobody in charge of getting research results to patients (or anybody else). He and his foundation have leveraged the power of his celebrity not just to raise money to accelerate Parkinson’s research, but also to create a spirit of teamwork among scientists and to mobilize patients as part of the effort to find new treatments.
- Michael J. Fox and MJFF inspire everyone to get involved and be part of the solution. Team Fox is MJFF’s grassroots fundraising network and is made up of thousands of people across the globe who find fun and creative ways (running, cycling, baking, zumba, etc.) to raise funds and awareness for MJFF and Parkinson’s research. Anyone can join Team Fox – learn more about how you can help here: https://www.michaeljfox.org/get-involved/fundraise.html
- MJFF has no endowment – so every dollar that is raised goes to promising research that may lead to new treatments, and ultimately a cure for Parkinson’s.
- With one American being diagnosed with Parkinson’s every 9 minutes, MJFF is working urgently toward its ultimate goal: to find a cure and “put the Foundation out of business.”
You can learn more about MJFF and how you can get involved here: https://www.michaeljfox.org/