Many of you ask us for baking tips and we’re happy to share some of the things we put into practice every day at our bakeries. Here are some quick and easy baking tips from our President and “Chief Baking Officer,” Bobbie Lloyd:
- Read the recipe through from beginning to end before you start any of the steps. Set up all your ingredients and do your “prep” in advance.
- If an ingredient is supposed to be room temperature, take it out of the refrigerator a 1/2 hour before you begin making the recipe.
- Make sure your oven temperature is true. Mine is 75 degrees too hot!
- Remove cupcakes from the baking pans when they are cool and place on a cooling rack, otherwise your cake will develop moisture beads on top making the tops appear soggy.
- Better to slightly under bake than to over bake. Since ovens vary so much, it can be difficult to determine when your cupcakes are done. The true test is four-fold. Your room will start to smell like cake, the cake will start to pull away from the sides of the pan, the top will be slightly golden and, last but not least, a pick inserted in to the center will come out clean. Recipes will give you time ranges (25 – 30 minutes). Do all of these tests at 25 minutes. If the pick comes out just slightly moist and the top is browning, I usually pull the pan immediately. Cooling for about 10 minutes in your pan will finish the baking process.