July is blueberry month here at Magnolia Bakery and I’m excited to share some of my secrets to baking with these delectable berries. Here are ten tips on baking with blueberries.
1. Always pick through your blueberries by rinsing them off and pulling out any that are soft and mushy. Pull off any stems as well.
2. The ripest blueberries should be sweet, not tart.
3. In season blueberries tend to be smaller and sweeter than the blueberries you get in the winter.
4. If you are cooking a filling, you can adjust the amount of sugar up or down depending on the sweetness of the blueberries.
5. Grated lemon peel and fresh juice add a brightness to pies and cooked fillings.
6. Always use fresh blueberries when making pie. Frozen blueberries will release too much liquid and your pie will be watery. You can use individually quick frozen blueberries(use them frozen) in baked desserts such as a muffin or coffee cake, but not a pie.
7. You can freeze your own fresh blueberries by placing them on a tray, freezing them solid, then placing them in baggies pre-measured for your recipes.
8. My favorite way to serve blueberries is in a simple hand pie that can be assembled in just a few minutes and baked in less than a half hour. Hand pies are any form of a fold-over pie dough with a filling. For example, Pop Tarts would be considered hand pies. They are so easy to make and it’s fun to involve the kids. I usually have pie dough in the refrigerator ready to roll out at any time.
9. Blueberries are so delicious when cooked with a little sugar, lemon peel and a bit of cornstarch. Cook until thickened and the blueberries start to burst, then add a handful of fresh blueberries. Cool this filling and keep it on hand in the fridge.
10. Always keep pie dough in the refrigerator or freezer in case you need a quick dessert! Add a fruit filling, such as the above blueberry recipe.
Also be sure to stop by your closest Magnolia Bakery this month to try some of our featured blueberry treats, including our brand new blueberry lemon cupcakes, blueberry jamboree and pies!
We’re so excited to have our chief baking officer Bobbie Lloyd be a permanent judge on this season of Next Great Baker. You can catch her on TLC every Tuesday at 9PM as she joins Cake Boss’ Buddy Valastro and Mr. Chocolate Jacques Torres in their quest to choose a winning team.
We sat down with Bobbie to talk to her about her experiences on the show and learn what it takes to be a judge on the Next Great Baker!
Q: What were some of the biggest challenges you experienced during the filming of The Next Great Baker?
A: There were times when it was difficult to choose between two cakes when the teams execution was at the same level. We could not have a tie and had to choose.
Q: What is a skill or baking tip you learned on set (from either a judge or a competitor)?
A: I am more of a baker than a decorator, so having the opportunity to watch Buddy and Jacque work their magic was a great experience. Buddy introduced me to working with fondant and modeling chocolate. He taught me to how make a beautiful chocolate rose. I got to see first-hand from Jacques how to work with sugar. Once someone shows you how to do it it’s really not that hard. Of course learning to make something beautiful can take years.
Q: What were the best parts of working with Jacques and Buddy?
A: What’s not to love about these two guys? They each have large personalities, share information, are a wealth of knowledge and loads of fun to be with.
Having a BBQ this weekend? After you pick up some of our 4th of July desserts, why not partake in a fun DIY, created by our creative director Linda Facci, that is sure to help your guests keep track of their drinks!
1. Download this PDF.
2. Print on full-sheet sticker paper (available at office supply or craft stores).
3. Trim to size.
4. Have your guests fill out and apply to their glass or plastic cup.
Not only will they never lose their drink, but you’ll probably have less to wash and throw-away. Plus, the host or hostess won’t have to spend their day introducing people!
Now go enjoy some red velvet or stars and stripes cupcakes as an pre-Independence Day celebratory treat!
We are excited to announce the opening of our store in Tokyo! The newest members of the Magnolia Family are proud to open the store’s doors on June 16th at 11AM. The store will be open Monday-Sunday from 11AM to 8PM.
If you’re in the area, be sure to pick up your favorite Magnolia Bakery treats at 5-10-1 GYRE B1F in Jingumae Shibuya-ku Tokyo. The store can also be reached via telephone: 03 6450 5800.
Father’s Day is coming up and we have a variety of treats that will surely make dad feel special.
Our #1 dad cupcakes are classic vanilla or chocolate cupcakes topped with vanilla buttercream and a loving “#1 dad” edible image. ($5.25) each, available for advance order starting June 1, as well as in-store June 13-15.
Our classic Father’s Day cupcakes are vanilla or chocolate cupcakes topped with vanilla or chocolate buttercream and festive Father’s Day decorations ($3.50 each, available for advance order starting June 1 and in-store June 13-15.
Our online store also offers a variety of Father’s Day themed cupcakes, including our sports assortment, our hole-in-one box and our tool kit cupcake box. Order a box today to ensure they arrive in time for Father’s Day on June 15.
It’s strawberry month at Magnolia Bakery and we’re offering a variety of delicious, strawberry-filled treats in stores!
Be sure to stop by and try our brand new strawberry cupcake, which is a fresh strawberry puree cupcake topped with a light strawberry meringue buttercream. Also available as a three-layer 9” cake, layered with fresh strawberries.
For all the pie lovers out there, our strawberry icebox pie is another delicious option. This pie contains fresh strawberries coated with a strawberry glaze layered into a graham cracker crust, and finished with whipped cream. Buy a mini or 9-inch pie!
Our strawberry icebox cake is another featured dessert this month. Treat yourself to a personal size cake made with handmade chocolate wafers layered with strawberry puree whipped sweet cream or purchase a cake for an upcoming celebration! Want to learn how to make this fan favorite yourself? Check out the recipe here.
Want to prepare a delicious dessert to share with friends at family at your Memorial Day celebration this weekend? You can’t go wrong with an easy-to-make (not to mention no-bake) icebox cake!
1 qt. Heavy Cream
2 Tbls. Granulated Sugar
1 1⁄4 cups Strawberry Puree
Nabisco Chocolate Wafer Cookies (about 100)
1. Pour the heavy cream into the mixer bowl. With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the sugar. Begin whipping on a medium high speed until the cream thickens slightly in the middle. Once the cream begins to thicken, whip on high speed for 30 seconds to 1 minute until the cream is very thick.
2. Remove the mixer bowl from the mixer stand, gently add the strawberry puree folding into the whipped cream until fully combined. Do not stir the whipped cream or whip in the mixer again.
3. Using your off‐set spatula, begin by putting a very thin layer of cream on the doily, spinning and smoothing the cream out to the inner edge of the doily. Use just enough cream for the first layer of wafers to stick to the doily.
4. Take 7 wafer cookies and place around the edge of the whipped cream and one in the center. Be sure the wafers are of equal distance from each other.
5. Place about 1⁄2 cup of cream for your first layer, using the off‐set spatula, smooth the cream out almost out to the edge, until you can barely see the edge of the wafer.
6. For the second layer use 7 more cookies placing them directly in between the first layer of wafers, making sure they are of equal distance apart from each other.
7. With the following layers of the cake stack the cookies like bricks, for example, the 3rd layer of wafers will be placed directly on top of the first layer of wafers using about 1⁄2 of whipped cream per layer.
8. Continue with this pattern until the cake is about 10‐12 layers high. 9.
9. Store in a Tupperware container in the refrigerator for 5 to 6 hours before serving.
The sun and warm weather have finally returned and so have our ice cream sandwiches!
Magnolia Bakery is offering a variety of ice cream sandwiches, including double fudge brownie, blondie, red velvet, magic cookie bar, and lemon bar. All of Magnolia Bakery’s handmade ice cream sandwiches are made with Ronnybrook Dairy’s supreme premium ice cream, in either Hudson Valley Vanilla or Chocolate.
The ice cream sandwiches start at $6.00 each and will be available starting May 21st in all New York locations.